Re: ICQ

On 29 Jul 1997, Stefan Berndtsson wrote:

> Travis Cole <tcole@atheist.dyn.ml.org> writes:
>
> > Andy way it is a cool little app.  Pretty much what it does is let you make a
> > list of people and then notify you when they are on line.  It then lets you
> > find out there IP address, send them messages, chat, send files and all that
> > fun stuff.  These other people have to have ICQ also of course.  It is pretty
> > neat because you can just drop someone a message and if they are on line then
> > the get it right then or if the are off it sends it to a server run bye
> > Mirabilis wick waits for them to come on line and then forward it to them.
> > You can open up multiple person chat and send people URLs, pictures, files and
> > email.  It is built in with a lot of Win95 junk that wouldn't be needed on a
> > Linux version.  Like it will automaticly call an app if say someone sends you a
> > wav file it calls a wav player or it will call your web browse if they send you
> > a URL.  It only does this when you want it to so don't worry about your web
> > browser opening up all the sudden if someone sends you a URL.  It is also very
> > customizable.
>
> So, basically, it's about what irc (on a network with services) can do for you?
> Seems like an incredible breakthrough getting something we've had for several
> years on a lot more platforms.

No, it is much, much more than just a chat line.  You can chat if you want
to, but you can send data back and forth easily, you can conference more
securely, you can send emails to one another ... it is the poor mans
replacement for "Novel Groupwise" (with some additions).

> /Stefan
>

> --

Chad D. Zimmerman				    chad@dabcc-www.nmsu.edu
Southwest Technology Development Institute
New Mexico State University
---
HP: http://dabcc-www.nmsu.edu/~chad/
DBP: http://dabcc-www.nmsu.edu/~chad/Debian/