xdm hangs

Hi.

I just reinstalled Debian.  All works well except xdm.  I am able to
manually run startx, but when xdm runs at boot, it never displays the
GUI.  When I run it manually, I get this:

moe# xdm -debug 9
DisplayManager.errorLogFile/DisplayManager.ErrorLogFile value
/var/log/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.daemonMode/DisplayManager.DaemonMode value true
DisplayManager.pidFile/DisplayManager.PidFile value  /var/run/xdm-pid
DisplayManager.lockPidFile/DisplayManager.LockPidFile value true
DisplayManager.authDir/DisplayManager.authDir value  /var/lib/xdm
DisplayManager.autoRescan/DisplayManager.AutoRescan value true
DisplayManager.removeDomainname/DisplayManager.RemoveDomainname value
true
DisplayManager.keyFile/DisplayManager.KeyFile value
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.accessFile/DisplayManager.AccessFile value
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager.exportList/DisplayManager.ExportList value
DisplayManager.randomFile/DisplayManager.RandomFile value /dev/mem
DisplayManager.greeterLib/DisplayManager.GreeterLib value
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/libXdmGreet.so
DisplayManager.choiceTimeout/DisplayManager.ChoiceTimeout value 15
DisplayManager.sourceAddress/DisplayManager.SourceAddress value false
creating socket 177
Created chooser socket 5
WaitForSomething

It then just sits there "waiting for something" to happen.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas on a solution?  Thanks in
advance.

Dave