Re: I must have missed the partition mount step...

Samuel Hahn writes:

> Hi...
>
> This morning was my first attempt to install Debian Linux (1.3). It went
> pretty smoothly (I was impressed) except for 2 items I need to ask
> about:
>
> 1. I seem to have missed the selection step that allows me to determine
> which of my partitions I want to mount where (eg /usr, /usr/src, /home,
> /usr/local, etc). I successfully partitioned them with cfdisk (nice
> improvement over fdisk!), but the install must have skipped right over
> that selection stage. So it's put into my 30Mb root partition the BASE

Sounds like 'sausage finger syndrome' 8-)  ps. I suffer from it time to time.

> modules, and written stuff to /usr, /home. Can I recover easily from
> this with some fstab munging, or is there a utility that will let me do
> this sanely, or do I have to start over?

If you don't want to re-install, yes you will have to fix it by hand.
Otherwise, start over. 8-(

> 2. The set of packages is bewildering. I was installing from floppies,
> due to a malfunction with my (Sony CDU-311) cdrom drive. The base
> install was pretty manageable, but I can quickly see that it's
> unadvisable to continue without a working CDROM (or net connection). Red
> Hat and Debian both had problems with my CDROM (though DOS 6.22 did not,
> at first; now it does... argh). However, where is the documentation
> recommending which packages to install in what order? Minimum set
> required for email, PPP, httpd?

Yes, the selection can be overwhelming. Look for a file called "Packages". The
info covers each package in the distribution along with dependency
information. (or use dselect <g>)

> PS. dselect is pretty cool. Where's the FAQ regarding its pros / cons
> vis-a-vis RedHat Package Manager? Does Slackware have an equivalent? Is
> it dangerous to install some using RPM and some using Debian? I
> would assume so...

Use "alien" to import RPM packages into Debian. Then dpkg can install it.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL