Yamaha sound card

Does anyone have experience in configuring yamaha
OPL3-SA3 card? It is 3D sound, 16bit full duplex
pnp card. After compiling a new kernel and reboot,
I did not see any message about sound module in
startup. Use 'cat /dev/sndstat', it shows like this

cat: /dev/sndstat: Operation not supported by device

What need I do to let this card work? I saw in Sound
HowTo that Yamaha is not supported, so I can not
use it under linux?  Thanks for your advice.