Re: pdf to text converter

Hi again,

I'm replying to your mail via debian-user list since there is something wrong
with your nameserver right now and the mailer fails due to it.

Here is the original message:

Well, the only explanation I have is that we have different versions of xpdf
and my verson has pdftotext and your version does not. I'm using the unstable
distribution and you perhaps have stable installed.

See http://www.aimnet.com/¯derekn/xpdf/ for the authors xpdf pages. There he
has 'getting xpdf' page which has a link to a binary executable
(xpdf-0.7-linux2.0-elf.tar.gz) for the 0.7 version. The binary version is
linked against libc5 and seems to have pdftotext in it.

Anyways, here is the info about the xpdf package I have installed.

% dpkg --status xpdf
Package: xpdf
 xpdf is a viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files. (These are
 sometimes called 'Acrobat' files after the name of Adobe's PDF software.)
 xpdf is designed to be small and efficient.  It does not use the Motif or
 Xt libraries.  It uses standard X fonts.  A program for conversion from
 pdf into ps, pdftops, is also included.

% dpkg --listfiles xpdf
/.
/usr
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/xpdf
/usr/doc/xpdf/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/doc/xpdf/copyright
/usr/doc/xpdf/README.gz
/usr/doc/xpdf/changelog.gz
/usr/X11R6
/usr/X11R6/bin
/usr/X11R6/bin/xpdf
/usr/X11R6/man
/usr/X11R6/man/man1
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xpdf.1x.gz
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/pdftops
/usr/bin/pdftotext
/usr/man
/usr/man/man1
/usr/man/man1/pdftops.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/pdftotext.1.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/menu
/usr/lib/menu/xpdf

I hope this helps,

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland