Re: Stupid Question: bridgeing/routing

>I have a 486/66 8M with 4 ne2k clones in it. What does the bridging code
>get me? Every machine on each of the subnets can see every other machine
>right now with just the basic routing table? Is it a performance issue?

Bridging provides you with a bunch of options and features....

1.  Allows you to bridge between 10Mbps Ethernet and 100Mbps Ethernet.
2.  May even allow you to bridge between Ethernet and Token Ring... ??
Anyone?  (I've never had reason to look into or try this yet...)
3.  Provides you with a ***cheap*** Ethernet switch.  The bridge software
actually segments the two (or more) networks and keeps traffic destined
for "local" addresses on the "local" segment.  (By building a table of
which MAC addresses are located on which segment.)

I've used bridging on a number of occassions for both #1 and #3 above.
Works great!  Love it!

One thing though....   For #3 above, you'll need a *very* fast system to
get anywhere near the speed of a true ethernet switch.

But... you can't beat the price.... :-)

Later,
Kevin