smc-ultra module from drivers disk

I am bringing up a new machine with an SMC Ultra ethernet card.  After
reading the rescue and drivers disks I ask for the Net modules and
install the SMC-Ultra module.  I receive some curious error messages
after

 smc-ultra.c:v2.00 6/6/96 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
 eth0: SMC Ultra at 0x300, 00 00 C0 75 B3 98, assigned IRQ 10 memory 0xcc000-0xcffff

That all looks as expected.  Then I get

 Executing module post-install script 'cdromsymlink' ...
 script: -ultra
 -ultra: not found

 Executing shell_smc-ultra failed

This is when running the installation disks with the v30 kernel
(i.e. 2.0.30). I guess I don't understand why it is trying to do some
cdrom sym-linking after installing an Ethernet card.

It appears that I can go ahead and configure the network anyway.