Hamm upgrade woes

Hello All,
	Yesterday I took the plunge, and tried to upgrade my Bo system to Hamm via
the
autoup.sh script found at the Debian web site.  I specified ftp to acquire
the new files, and let the
script run with defaults to ftp.debian.org.  My system was 2.0.31 kernel,
with libc6 and libc5-compat (I think).
	It downloaded the files, said it had everything it needed, and began the
upgrade.  Many packages didn't install, and some could not be removed
(timezone, wg15-locale, etc).  I manually
removed the packages the script didn't, then ran autoup.sh again,
specifying local mirror for source files, and specifying
/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp (I think) which is where ftp put them.
	It again stated it had all necessary files, and tried to proceed.
Timezones installed, and some others, but I soon got an error from
/sbin/ldconfig that libc.so was not found.  I checked in
/usr/lib and found libc.so was a symlink to libc.so.5.4.33, which was not
on the system (removed
by the script?).  I did a find for libc* and found libc.so.5.4.38, and set
a symlink to libc.so and ran
the script again.
	Eventually, the script completed, and I was ready to upgrade via dselect
using ftp.  More
problems ensued.  I'm being told that packages I want are not found, even
though the option to
update available packages worked.  Can someone give me specific paths to
specify in dselect for
ftp upgrade?  I want to convert my system to Hamm, but I can't complete,
and I'm afraid to shutdown or reboot for fear it may not come back up.
	Are there packages that run under Bo that won't under Hamm?  (xloadimage,
etc?).  Which libraries must I have to run X-windows, gimp, etc, and which
libraries must NOT be loaded
to avoid conflicts?  I have read the lib5tolib6 how-to at the debian web
site.
	I need specific advice, if anyone has had similar problems and overcame
them.

	Thanks for any help.

		Russ
P.S.  I don't have access to my machine during the day, as I'm at work and
haven't configured
it yet to allow me to telnet to it over the phone.

Russell Cook, Engineering Branch
WSR-88D Operational Support Facility
(405)366-6520 x4237
russcook@icon.net, rcook@osf.noaa.gov