Re: timezones 2.0.7pre1-1 is broken

In article <[🔎] m0y37hH-000imHC@bobspc>,
Robert D. Hilliard <hilliard@metrolink.net> wrote:
>     When I updated my hamm system tonight from my local mirror,
>timezones was updated to 2.0.7pre1-1.  It removed the setting GMT=""
>from wherever it belongs in hamm.

That wasn't timezones, that was sysvinit.

>(It was in /etc/init.d/boot
>pre-hamm, but I haven't looked for it before now that /etc/init.d/boot
>is no longer used.

/etc/init.d/boot is broken up in a bunch of independant scripts in /etc/rcS.d/

>I inserted GMT="" near the top of
>/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh, and it works, but that probably isn't the
>correct place.  Where should it be?

/etc/default/rcS. It even has a manpage rcS(5) !

>     When I run the date command, I get the following:
>
>     Thu Feb 12 22:40:27 /etc/localtime 1998
>
>There is no file /etc/localtime, which I suppose should contain my
>time zone, which tzconfig says (correctly) is EST5EDT.
>
>     dpkg -L shows that timezones includes the directory
>/usr/doc/timezones, but no files in that directory.  A listing of this
>directory shows:

That's /usr/share/zoneinfo. You can run `tzconfig' to setup your
local timezone. (It should have been run automatically - and it has
in my setup).

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG