Re: device /dev/eth0 is missing

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Björn Hillebrand wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with Debian 1.3.1.
> I want to use Debian in a network but I don_t find any devices for my
> Winbond PCI 32 Bit Ethernet card. In a magazine I found an article which
> explains how to configure the network ( Chip Extra - Linux ) and they
> use the device eth0 via ifconfig. The problem is i don_t have this
> devivce.
>
> Do i have to install a special package ?

No, just (from /etc/init.d/network) :

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}

Note, that the installscripts should have done this already for you.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.