Re: about the FAQ and /etc/init.d

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, John Spence wrote:

> While trying to decide on the most logical place to start my
> IP-Masquerading rules, I checked the faq for wisdom.
>
> Placing a script in /etc/init.d and then working out what numeric argument
> to pass to update-rc.d seemed to be the best bet.
>
> Answer 11.3 states that scripts in "/etc/init.d all take an argument which
> can be either 'start', 'stop', or 'reload'"    Implementing my IP-Masq
> rules don't really require a start, stop or reload argument so would I be
> better off starting them in some other way/location ?
>
> Would the IP-Masq rules be best started from /etc/ppp/ip-up ?

I use a script in /etc/rc.boot which is run automatically on boot.
I guess ip-up would do, but I think it's better to set all that sort of
stuff up on boot up.
I think there is a default "setserial" one that you could look at... even
though there is not much to look at :) (am I right to say it is a
default?)

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)