Default permissions(was Re: cat's got my lp1)

On  3 Jun, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 03:52:12PM -0400, <click_here> wrote:
>> I recently chmod / -R 777 my system to try and cure a permission problem I
>> was having, I know - major stupid, This might be the problem.
>
> I think I'd do a reinstall after this - I doubt that it will introduce
> permission problems, but security will be .. lacking.
>
>> My delema is not knowing how to reverse the 777 stuff, or where to fix the
>> lpd.
>
> I'd give up on the first on I think :-(

I think it would be great if perhaps the Contents files that are on the
ftp sites would also list the permissions of the files as they are
installed.  This would at least help those that have permission
problems.  It won't help for files that are created in setup scripts
but it would be better that a complete reinstall. My $0.02.

--
Brian