Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

E.L. Meijer \(Eric\) wrote:
> It looks as though your system runs out of pid's (unlikely), or you hit
> your maximum number of processes (not impossible).  What does ulimit -a
> say about your max user processes?  How many processes are running?
> (try top, or `ps ax').
>
> ps ax | wc -l
>
> Eric

argo:~$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
open files                  256
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          256
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited
argo:~$ ps ax | wc -l
    106

The problem seems to appeare only launching XTERM from buttons on fvwm95
yesterday with:
argo:~$ xterm -ls -sb -fn 8x13 -title "Color xterm" &
there was the same problem, today only launching from button !?

The only difference from yesterday is that today I've started from
Start -> xterm
when yesterday I was started with the button.

Thanks for attention,
                                                  Guido.
--