Re: Need help upgrading to hamm (libc6)

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> I am having trouble installing libc6_2.0.7pre1-4.  Here is the error
> message I'm getting from dpkg:
>
> libc6 conflicts with libc5 ( <<5.4.33-7 )
> version ( 5.4.33-3 ) installed
>
> I have been unable to find libc5_5.4.33-7 -- I can only find up to revision
> 6 in stable.
>
> Where can I get the version of libc5 I need to install libc6 ??

There are only three ways of upgrading which have a chance of success:

1.  Get the libc5-libc6 HOWTO. See the link to Developers' Corner at
www.debian.org and follow the steps therein.

2.  Use the autoup.sh script.  See http://www.taz.net.au/autoup/autoup/
This is also at the www.debian.org site, but often not the latest
version.

3.  Install apt_0.0.16-0.1bo_i386, which is at http://www.debian.org/~jgg/
and do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

All of the above methods will upgrade to the correct libc5 and do several
other installations in the correct order.

If you just try to install libc6 to a bo system, you will certainly fail!
Depending on the state of the hamm packages, even the above methods can
sometimes result in (usually minor) problems.

Bob

----