Re: Problem with Linux recognizing modem

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Fungame Game wrote:

> I have a modem that is installed on COM2, and is internal. It is
> compatible with all Hayes-type commands. PPPd is setup to dial out
> (using chat, using ppp-go). However, when I run it, I get something like
> this: pppd[299] tcgetattr I/O error. This sounded like a problem talking
> to my modem, or an incorect setup (eventhough I had it setup for
> /dev/ttyS1) so I launched minicom.

I don't know anything about modems or setup or anything like that but I _do_
know that I've received that error before and it was because my irq for com2
was wrong. so you can check the settings of com2 as

	setserial -a /dev/ttyS1

and read the info, and you can change the irq as

	setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq <whatever>

so I did this trying to get my palmpilot to be recognized by my thinkpad. it's
an unrelated problem but by setting my com2 port to irq 3 the modem stopped
working and I got the above error. when I reset it to irq 5 (which is what
is set when the module loads. my modem is a card and the pcmcia features load
as a module) everything worked.

so there is a way to get setserial to choose a non-conflicting irq automatic
which I don't remember but is in the manpages.

HTH

	-John Kloss