Re: Swapping Hard Drives on the fly

Damon Muller <damon@emprie.net.au> writes:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I have a 1.2G IDE HD that I have in a removable drive cady on my Bo
> system. It's not a 'hot-swap' drive or anything sophisticated like that,
> and on my Windoze system I wouldn't have even considered pulling it out
> while the PC was running.
>
> However, under Linux, shouldn't I just be able to unmount or mount the
> drive at will?  Would that damage or confuse anything? Or possibly put
> in the drive once I have booted without it?
>
> Anyone have a similar setup?

Linux can handle Hot-puging of harddrives and nearly any other
hardware, BUT:

Forget it with IDE. IDE drives that don't get power most likely crash
your ide bus (try booting with an unpowered drive conected).

With scsi you can send a commando to the scsi kernel thread to create
or kill a device (after unmounting all partitions on it). After that
you can 99.99% savely remove the drive. You should not do that while
large amounts of data are transfered over the scsi bus, but generally
its save.

You can try the same with ide, but I think the bus will crash and then
your without any ide drive until reboot.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn