Re: older debian release?

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, peter wrote:

> hi, i've got what may seem a strange request.. i'm looking for an older
> release of debian. i have a laptop w/ only 2MB RAM and i've been told that
> one of the older releases of debian will run under 2MB.

well, I tried 1.3.1 with 2MB, but that's really really not done...
I even compiled a kernel with no support for anything, but is still
didn't quite boot... It was a 386/25 (I even don't know if it's a SX or
DX). I had to outcomment some lines in the source code of the kernel to
make it even boot the kernel... Eventually I had a kernel of about 500KB,
I had modified the boot script to enable swap before anything else, but
after some 45 minutes the syslogd was only just started...

> and just to stave off the usual responses i get, i know that i won't be
> able to do much with only 2MB, but i'm only interested in a base install
> anyway, i use my main machine for all the big stuff.

if you install 1.3.1 (at least if you succeed...) and try booting with
init=/bin/bash you might say you're running linux, but you can't run
much more than just a shell...

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it seems this is the truth...

Regards,
 Maarten.