Re: Linux & Compaq servers?

don't have a server model in mind.  situation is this.  we (public domain,
inc. --pd) have been providing internet access to other nonprofits and
individual artists for the past seven years on a sun 4/280 running sun OS
4.1.1.  we now need to replace the sun -- which btw has run reliably 24/7
for all these years and only rarely required a reboot -- can't imagine
running anything but a 'unix' OS.  anyway, we have long been supporters of
free software/gnu/open source.  having looked over all the options we find
we are most closely aligned philosophically with debian/GNU.  i've already
installed debian on a 486 and pentium/166 and with the exception of some
choking on an onboard aic6160 scsi chip (append statements in LILO brought
no joy) all's well and i'm looking forward to upgrading to the 2.0beta.
my interest in compaq is in trying to find a hardware DONOR.  i'm looking
for a company with a corporate giving program that will understand the
proposal i'm writing explaining our decision to go with Linux.  someone
mentioned to me (off this group) that compaq might be approachable.
suggestion was that they were either shipping boxes with linux
pre-installed or shipping boxes without an OS on which unix/linux could be
installed.  i am looking for clarification on compatibility between debian
linux and compaq servers and on compaq's attitude toward linux in general
so i'll know what kind of spin to put in the proposal, or whether its even
worthwhile putting something in front of them at all.  if anyone happens
to know of a company thats particularly linux friendly, please let me
know.

pd is a 501-(c)-3 so all donations are, of course, tax deductible.
please visit us at www.pd.org.  thanks for the response, OK.

-c-

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 kriol@interact.phtd.tpu.edu.ru wrote:

> Hi, Chea
>
> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Chea Prince wrote:
>

> > is Compaq shipping servers with Linux installed?  is there an article
> > somewhere outlining Compaq + Linux?
> >

> what kind of server(s) are you interesting in?
>
> we just installed rh 5.1 (sorry, debian) on 2CPU
> Compaq Proliant 2500. I have some docs and
> howtos. Feel free to ask
>
> regards
>
> OK
>

> --

                                  The man
PUBLIC DOMAIN, INC.          Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
P.O. Box 8899-0899           Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Atlanta, GA  30306           Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
VOX: 404.373.0980            Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
FAX: 404.378.3607            Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
cprince@pd.org               A mechanised automaton.

                             --Percy Bysshe Shelley