Apt problems

Hello again,

I'm having a problem with apt.  I've just done an upgrade of my hamm
system with a few updated packages, and now everytime I run apt, it wants
to remove its own package.  The following is a sample session with apt:

mort:~# apt-get update
Get ftp://ftp.questnet.net.au stable/binary-i386/ Packages
Get ftp://ftp.questnet.net.au frozen/contrib Packages
Get ftp://ftp.questnet.net.au frozen/main Packages
Get ftp://ftp.questnet.net.au frozen/non-free Packages
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  apt: Depends:libc6
mort:~# apt-get -f install
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
Correcting dependencies...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0b of archives. After unpacking 1238k will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

So, apt has a missing dependancy in libc6??  Weird huh.
Anybody got any idea why this is?

Chris.