Re: ppp PAP question

>> "WW" == Wakko Warner <wakko@ani.animx.ml.org> writes:

WW> them.  in pap-secrets I have:

WW> wakko	lwts	.......
WW> wakko	bristol	.......

WW> "lwts" is my computer at work
WW> "bristol" is the name I received from my ISP.
[...]
WW> The line I used to invoke pppd:
WW> pppd connect 'chat "" atdt####### CONNECT' user wakko /dev/modem 115200

WW> I see no other way to get pppd to send the correct user name.  Obviously,
WW> I'm not going to use my machine name and I'm not going to have my machine
WW> name as my ISP login name.  It seems that it can't get the remote host name
WW> or something...  I don't fully (or half way) understand PAP.

man pppd says:

    remotename name
              Set  the  assumed  name  of  the  remote system for
              authentication purposes to name.

So: a the pap-secrets line should look like:

wakko	myisp	secretpassword

username on remote system = wakko
password for remote system = secretpassword
remote-id of remote system (arbitrary) = myisp

and you have to add "remotename myisp" to your pppd line.

Ciao,
	Martin