Re: stumped

Matt Pittaway wrote:

> Hi Ig,
>      I downloaded and, after some trials, installed Linux to a 2nd hard
> drive.
> 1)How do I learn the commands? When I first got DOS I just typed help
> and learned from there.
> 2) What files do I need to install the "x" gui? Are there instructions
> to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>      Matt Pittaway
>     Clarklake, Michigan, USA

	If you are literally starting from scratch, I'd seriously recommend getting
a book on Linux.  It would help tremendously.  Second, do you have the
'man-db' package installed?  Install it and 'manpages' package and it will
give you the 'man' command (short for manual), which is unix's version of
on-line help.  There's another source of help called 'info' too, but the
interface is downright arcane).  For some things, though, you'll need to
learn info as well.
	If you get X up and running there are two packages I'd recommend, tkman and
tkinfo.  These make browsing man and info pages easy.

--
Ed