major problems for me upgrading to Debian 2.0

I started with the libc5-2-libc6 howto.  That went OK.

Then I proceeded to install packages via dselect.  Thank went OK.
I might point out that there were a large number of new packages.
Very impressive!  However, I did not add anything new at this stage;
just upgrading at this point.

All the packages installed.  Then, it went to the configuration
stage.  I didn't notice, but there could have been error messages
prior to the failure.  The machine hung big time!  The last message in
the screen was "configuring psmisc"

Then the machine would not boot.  I went to the emergency diskettes.
Eventually, I figured out that it was trying to execute
/etc/init.d/boot, which was no longer there from the new sysvinit
package.  So, there is a disconnect there.  I copied
/etc/init.d/boot.OLD to /etc/init.d/boot, then the machine would at
least boot again (after e2fsck all the hard drives, which had lots of
errors from this failure!)

Where I am now:

* lots of packages will not configure because /usr/sbin/install-info
is needing a dir.lock file not to be there. (from dselect configure
all packages needing it)

* dpkg --list seems to hang so I can't even see the list of packages
and what the status is

* the sysklogd package fails to install correctly because the
/etc/init.d/sysklogd file is not installed (the file that is there is
not executable and looks like an entry in the Packages file for
sysklogd!)

* I'm not sure whether I need to keep /etc/init.d/boot there or not
(afraid to delete it, haven't seen the console messages for a good
boot without it, don't understand why it was necessary to change this
scheme!).

disappointed seeing as how I have deliberately waited until I thought
it was ready.  I would call this pre-beta or maybe alpha!  I am glad I
experimented with my print server first and did not try this on this
machine (my desktop).

I hope you folks can help me through this one!  Remember, what sold
alot of us on Debian in the first place was the upgrade path.  I think
I would have been better off from scratch, in which case, why Debian?
I think you should test the upgrade on a representative machine!

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |