Re: X hates me after hardware upgrade

On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 10:25:16AM -0500, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. spewed forth:

> try "X :1 -bpp 8 -query localhost"
>
> (assuming that you're using xdm.  use similar arguments without the query for startx)

No xdm here.  If I try to start X in 8bpp, I get garbage and have to zap the
server.  Once, I had to reboot to get my video back.

> Setup from scratch for a very simple 8 bit display (you can now choose this), and start moving up from there.

Fresh configs built with either XF86Setup or xf86config produce the same
errors:

(--) SVGA: S3 ViRGE chipset: please load "libs3v.a" module
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: chip revision: 0
(--) SVGA: Chipset: ct65530
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: no monitor detected.
(**) SVGA: CHIPS: 4096 kB VRAM
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: TFT probed.
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: CRT
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: PI Bus
(--) SVGA: CHIPS: Depth 16 only supported with linear addressing
(--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
(**) SVGA: videoram: 4096k
(--) SVGA: clocks:  25.18

I've tried selecting both generic S3 ViRGE GX and STB Nitro 3D.  For teh
record, SuperProbe reports the following:

First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: S3 ViRGE/GX (PCI Probed)
        Memory:  4096 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

The other suggestion I've gotten thus far was to make sure that I had linear
addressing for the board turned on.  The readme for the board (README.S3V,
which covers configs for both the S3V and SVGA servers for this chipset)
specifically indicates that linear addressing is the default for the SVGA
driver and that the 'nolinear' option is not supported.

PeeWee

--
email: peewee@scc.mi.org - useless: http://www.scc.mi.org/peewee/ - efnet: Pwe
 "Persons with names like Sierra or Sequoia will not be permitted to sing the