fun with mgetty

I was going to try and set up mgetty to allow me to call my machine from
elsewhere for either ppp or shell access so I could connect from pretty much
any machine with a modem.  I need to also be able to locally initiate an
outgoing call from this machine on the same modem for ppp or dialup access
to other systems.

Like any sensable person trying something new, I installed the package and
began looking over the documentation, man pages, and config files.  Figured
it should be relatively straightforward to set it up.  I managed only to
confuse myself.  mgetty does a lot, so how do I get it to do what I want and
just what I want?

All help appreciated.