Re: Explain /etc/alternatives to me

servis@purdue.edu said
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone please explain to me how to USE /etc/alternatives.  I know
> what it is for but how does one take advantage of the links in it?
> Should it be the first item in the PATH?  What?  The man page is
> basically useless, Ch. 10 of the Developers Manual just explains what
> alternatives are, and the --help option of update-alternatives just
> shows how to update the links in /etc/alternatives.

Just for everyone's sake:

multiple packages may provide the same file -  a good example is the
various VI clones - they all produce /usr/bin/vi.  (and /usr/man/man1/vi.1...)

Without the /etc/alternatives mechanism the last VI clone installed would
be the vi you'd use.  This is not desirable - just because we installed
vim doesn't mean that we don't want Elvis to be our system-wide VI.

Alternatives replaces /usr/bin/vi with a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/vi
which is it'self a symbolic link to the actual program.  On one of my systems
it's /usr/bin/elvisnox, on another it's /usr/bin/elvis.

The short of it is that you *don't* want to execute the files in
/etc/altenatives -  They should point to executables that are already in your
path.

> Thanks,
>
> Brian
> --
> Mechanical Engineering                              servis@purdue.edu
> Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis

Stick

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841