Re: Specifying Ultra-SCSI? Re: RAM SIZE large than 64MB

Hi Christopher and Oliver,

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Christopher Barry wrote:
>   >> In /etc/lilo.conf,
>   >> ...
>   >> # Linux - 2.0.33
>   >> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.33
>   >>   label=linux2033
>   >>   append="mem=96m aic7xxx=ultra"
>   >>

I don't have aic7xxx=ultra set at boot-time. Looks like there's no need
for this.

> This is what I get in /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0; do you think I can do better?:
>
> Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.1/3.2
> Compile Options:
>   AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
>   AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Disabled
>   AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Disabled
>   AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.1.1/3.2.1
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5
  AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_LUN   : 64
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Enabled
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled

Those are my settings.

1. RESET_DELAY:
A minimum delay of 5 secs is ok if you have only
HD's and CD's connected to your SCSI. Other devices may need a longer
time
to get initialised, negotiated, etc.

This makes booting faster.

2. CMDS_PER_LUN:
This depends on your HD's as well. 64 is a 'high' value - only use it
for
real fast HD's - slower ones may burn out because of too much load.
But - the kernel lowers the rate of CMDS_PER_LUN after a few minutes
uptime
(if you set it too high for at least one of your drives). So the risk is
not that high - only for old HD's :)
Values up to 32 are 'high', but should be ok.

This is (obviously :)) boosting the overall performance.

When compiling the kernel, you can read the help when issuing make
config/menuconfig). There is everything stated.

happy hacking,

	Mac

--
Markus Lechner       (Company - LightWolf)      |   The
Prometheus-Project