Re: Help required SB16 PnP

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 08:44:30AM -0600, Ehren Wilson wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Ivan wrote:
> >
> > Umm Actually I believe it works fine if you have a PnP bios that assigns
> > the hardware at that level.
>
> This is only partially true. Some devices are correctly initilaized by the
> PnP BIOS, others are not.
>
> > The I/O base that you probably should be using is 0x220 as this is the
> > default for the SB, I believe that 388 is the midi, and I am not sure
> > about the 330 right now. Linux should read these as hex I believe.
> > I don't know if I can solve your problem, but hopefully this limits its
> > scope for quicker troubleshooting.
>
> On the SB's I know, 0x330 is the base for Midi.
>
> > I have been working with an SB16 PnP for a while now, and now an SB Awe64.
> > So I can say that it works as long as you have a PnP bios.  Hope this at
> > least can clarify some things.
>
> The Awe cards are a good example for partially initialization by PnP BIOS.
> The pcm devices work, but for the Awe driver patch to work, isapnptools is a
> must (at least with my Bios. Maybe there are newer, better bios'es
> available).
>
> Thank you,
> Marcus

Yes, I believe you are right on every count, and I beleive that my awe64
isn't fully functional, with this clarifications.  I'll have to get home
to test the midi...  Ummm looking through your mini howto on the awe I
only ran into one problem.  I don't have a /etc/init.d/boot.  Where would
I add that little bit of script into if not there?  I am fairly new to
linux and not sure of the order it runs all the boot scripts, or most
names for that matter.

Thank you,
Ehren