Re: Linux vs. Windows

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Richard Alhama wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > These days, Linux being hard to install is true only in the sense that
> > almost everyone installing it is starting out with something like Win95
> > already on their machine. That immediately causes problems like setting
> > up a dual boot and partitioning to crop up - and these are problems that
> > are not unique to installing Linux.

One thing that I find common is that newbies do not take the time to read
the instructions. They think they can "figure it out as they go along"
like they are used to doing with Windows. That can be disaster with Linux
because it will not warn you that you are about to erase a partition, it
assumes you read the documentation and know what you are doing. A lot of
the problem is also Windows' fault. It assumes that it is the only OS on
the computer and gets cranky when a new OS tries to move in.

The second most common mistake is not reading the dselect documentaion and
the third mistake is trying to select a bunch of stuff on the first pass
through dselect. The only thing you should change on the first pass is the
MTA and the editor. Get the preselected stuff installed and then rerun
dselect to install the other things you want.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?