Re: Debian install problem

Greets,

> If you've got an ftp server on your Win95 machine (and some way of
> connecting to it like TCP/IP), you can start up dselect,  select "Access",
> "Ftp",  and give it the information it asks for,  starting with the
> location of your win95 machine.   Otherwise,  you can install via ftp from
> one of the debian ftp sites (try ftp.debian.org :))

I'm not sure that this will work. Last time I tried (with a Bo CD and NT
as the FTP server), this failed miserably. One reason seemed to be that
dselect was looking for case sensitive file names, and NT takes a lot of
liberties with it's filename cases.

Another problem is that NT can't understand symlinks, and there are a lot
of links in binary-i386 pointing to binary-all. The FTP server on NT will
just see these as 0 length files, and dpkg will choke on them.

Installing from a linux FTP, OTOH, is a breeze. But that's a chicken and
egg problem, isn't it :)

Damon