Installation problem

I'm trying to use dselect to install packages from a mounted msdos
directory but I keep getting an error that says it can't find
dpkg-perl part 1.  I looked in the directory where the other packages
are and didn't find it.  I went back out to the ftp.debian site and
could not find it in /dist/stable/binaryi386 I finally wen tot the web
site and downloaded it there.  I tryed the install again but I keep
getting the same error.

Am I missing a needed file?  What else can I try?  What directory on
the ftp site would I be able to find these files in?

TIA

Cristov Russell
wolfsong333@yahoo.com