Re: Changing shell

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Liran Zvibel wrote:

: On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
: > On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Liran Zvibel wrote:
: >
: > : You can edit the file /etc/passwd, the defauld shell for the user is the
: > : last thing in the line.
: > : I'm sure that there is a script that does it for you, but I like doing it
: > : myself.
: >
: > Uh, what about the case where a non-trusted user wants to change her
: > shell?  If you're going to let anyone edit /etc/passwd that's your
: > business, but I think it's insanity :)
: >
: > `chsh' was invented so that a user who does not have root access may
: > change their shell.  See also `chfn', etc.
:
: I didn't mean to let everybody the ability to edit passwd, but anybody
: can email system@math... and "say he/she wants his/hers default shell
: changed, and one of us will do it for him. (Of course we tell them that
: they can change their shell by typing the name of the  new shell, be we're
: willing to change it for them. (It is not that hard, so why not offer this
: service to our users?)

I've got a couple thousand users and a mid-sized network to maintain; I
don't have time to edit /etc/passwd at the whim of a user, particularly
when a command exists where they can achieve the result themselves.
Your mileage may vary :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD