Re: emacs 20 wont install after upgrading...

I thought I had kept the message that had the solution to this, but
apparently I tossed it.

At any rate, someone replied and suggested installing emacs without tm.
That worked.

I went into dselect/select and searched for tm (/tm twice) and marked tm
to be purged. Then at dselect's main screen I chose (5) Remove unwanted
software; after tm was removed I chose (4) Config and emacs20 configured
properly this time. I now have a working emacs20.

To whomever provided this answer, thanks!