XDM chooser and authorization

I'm trying to configure XDM on two Debian/Linux boxes.
On each of them XDM should present the CHOOSER menu with
both, and the user can then select any to work on.
After a week of experimenting and reading all available
documentation I gave up. So, any suggestion is appreciated.

Let's have hostA nad hostB, and assume that hostA is providing
the CHOOSER menu. In hostA:/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess we specify:

*.local.sub.net                         #for direct query
*.local.sub.net   CHOOSER hostA hostB   #for indirect query

On both, hostA and hostB:/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers we specify:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt7 -indirect hostA

After starting xdm on hostB, we get the CHOOSER menu ok, but
hostA:/var/log/xdm-errors says:

Xlib: connection to "hostB.local.sub.net:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb: Can't open display 'hostB.local.sub.net:0'

and, of course, one cannot choose hostA from the menu (instead,
XDM login for hostB shows up). So, I turned off authorization
on both, hostA and hostB:/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:

DisplayManager*authorize:	false

and added weaker host authorization to /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup:

xhost +localhost +hostA +hostB

This doesn't help either. hostA gives the same error message,
and hostB repots (every 15 seconds):

AUDIT: Tue Nov  3 17:38:59 1998: 675 X: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
AUDIT: Tue Nov  3 17:39:14 1998: 675 X: client 3 rejected from local host
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

If I start XDM with empty /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (so that no local
X server is started) and later start X server manually by

> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt7 -indirect hostA

things seem to work. So, what is the proper authorization setup
for XDM ?

-Igor Mozetic