Re: apt-get update errors?

On: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:34:04 -0500 Adam Lazur writes:

> Whenever I run "apt-get update" with slink stuff in my sources.list
> I end up getting like 20 errors similar to:
>
> Get ftp://ftp.debian.org slink/main makedev [16.1k]
> Error ftp://ftp.debian.org slink/main makedev
>  550 /debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/makedev_2.3.1-4.deb:
>  not a plain file.
>
> is there something I'm missing?

This probably happens if the Packages file and the available files are
not in sync, e.g., while a mirroring is taking place.  In the above
case the makedev_2.3.1-4.deb seems to have been replaced by the newer
version, (hopefully[1]) with some ISDN-related bugs fixed.

I have another question regarding apt-get.  It seems that apt-get is
less stable in ftp negociation than any other ftp client that I have
encountered so far.  I often get error messages similiar to "cannot
open passive mode" which requires a Ctrl-C and restarting of apt-get.
After some iteration all files have successfully been transfered.

Does anybody has the same experiences or is this a server-related
problem (I usually use ftp.de.debian.org and ftp.fu-berlin.de)?

In the first case I would check the bug archive and issue a bug if
the problem is still unknown.

	Torsten

BTW: I have even bigger problems here on ftp.de.debian.org, the
Packages files of frozen still contains references to the old
unstable, this makes apt-get totally mad.  A mail to the ftp@ mailbox
is on the way, hopefully it will reach a human reader too.

Footnotes:
[1] I wasn't able to check yet, see the BTW above.