slightly odd behaviour of X for a newbie and a request for help in configuring xdm

I did an apt-get dist-upgrade yesterday and slink is great! Except for
the fact that it did some wierd things for my X.
	First off I couldn't get it to work at all and after uninstalling and
re-installing + some symlinking the Xserver started to run. Now my
problem is that I can run X as root only if I use "startx". Xdm lets me
run it as a user...though I have to log in as root first in text mode to
get xdm running.
	When I try to run XF86Setup, it won't start complaining about missing
xvidtune and when I try to run xvidtune, the error message says that I
should install xvidtune before using it. I would gladly install xvidtune
if knew how...I thought it was in the Xserver-vga16 package which I
installed using apt. Any ideas how I would get XF86Setup running?
	Another question I have is that how do I configure xdm to launch X at
boot time so I wouldn't have to log in as root? I have placed a command
for it in etc/init.d and I ran update-rc.d...

Lots of thanks in advance,
Mikael