Re: [SMP] P2 Database Srvr: 1x450 or 2x350 CPUs?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I'm setting up a Debian box for my client as an Oracle server.  I'm torn
> between Dual 350's or a single 450 MHz chip.  The price is the same.
> The machine will have 256MB of RAM and a 16MB RAID-5 controller (either
> Mylex or AMI), and four Cheetah 9GB drives.

If you are going to run a 2.0.x kernel, do *>NOT<* use an SMP solution. I
would suggest you go to 2.1.x now ... find a kernel that is stable on your
box (2.1.125 and .127 are good candidates) and use the SMP box. Everything
will then migrate happilly over to 2.2 once it is released. If you MUST
have the server now and MUST run 2.0.x kernels, use the single processor
solution though you will be able to upgrade later.

Compromise: Get the SMP system and run a non-SMP kernel until you switch
to 2.2.x