Re: [SMP] P2 Database Srvr: 1x450 or 2x350 CPUs?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> What is the basis for this advice?
>
> Is 2.0.x SMP just a crappy performer because it doesn't have granular
> locking?

No, it crashes (actually, locks up) under load because of deadlocks. Not
good for an unattended machine.

> With the kernel issue out of the way, I'm still not sure whether SMP
> is the better solution.

2.1.x gives much bettter performance under SMP than the 2.0 kernels
because of the granularity of the locks. 2.0.x is bad because it breaks.
Linus gave up looking for the cause and rewrote the SMP stuff completely
for 2.1.x

That information came from the mouth of a local kernel hacker named
Torvalds who works over at Transmeta.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!