Starting out trouble

 Hello, I'm just starting out with Linux and am not fairing all too
well. The system seems to be up and running even though it took almost
ten hours for it to load. Not a good start.

 The computer is an old (1996) Intergraph dual P133 w/128m RAM, SB16,
Adaptec SCSI, a SCSI CDROM and two SCSI HDs. The Linux version was
recently acquired through Cheap Bytes.

 The program xdm says it's loaded, but there is no gui visible, just the
prompt. Perhaps I misunderstood what xdm is, at least I have a prompt. I
tried startx and it said no such file or directory. Whatever, I'll
eventually figure it out.

 The reason I'm writing is because it has this penguin come on the
screen during the boot sequence. It also has system info depicted
alongside it. This info states the Linux version is 2.0.34 the cpu is
75+ with 65 megs of RAM and it's got or is doing 4.61 bogomips.

 All of the above should not be except the Linux version. How do I go
about getting Linux to recognize the system correctly? The boot sees it
all correctly including the correct ID of the SCSI drives. I screwed up
somewhere, big time.
		Bill