Re: dselect (or apt) wish list

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Robert Wilderspin wrote:

> On 10 Nov 98 21:51:40 GMT, zbrown@lynx.neu.edu (Zack Brown) wrote:
> >[lots of ideas for dselect, which I snipped]
>
> Some good ideas there, Zack.  A couple have already been done (the
> skipping of installed packages and the selections-from-file ones), but
> here's my wishlist for those that might care to listen.

One thing that kinda bugs me is when there is a minor change in default
config files or the location of a part of a package. When foo-1.1-1 goes
to foo-1.1-2. Why have to download the entire foo binary if it did not
change? I wish there was a way to get a foo-update package that depends on
foo-1.1-1, provides foo-1.1-2 and makes the changes needed to make it
foo-1.1-2. Why download all the binaries over again if they do not change?

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!