Please, what audio device is java-linux looking for?

Please someone tell me something about what is going wrong with sound on
java-linux?
No one on any use groups, help desks, or mailer lists will even acknowledge this
question
When the appletviewer is suppose to play a sound (AudioClip.play()) I get

no audio device
audio player exit

output to the terminal - no other information

My Sound Card Works
I have the latest and greatest GPL drivers from OSS
I can play sound on other applications and hear them on my browser
I've downloaded applets written by Arnold Gosling to test sound (don't work)
The appletviewer (is a synlink to a file which) has setuid root
to have permission to /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

Could they be looking for a different audio device like /dev/sunaudio?

By wednesday After two weeks of faliling, my boss is clear:
Gotta have sound!
Take Linux off, reformat the HD, and put Microsoft back on.
I go down in disgrace.
-Chip Grandits