Re: 96M RAM, but free only shows 64M!!!

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 08:48:40PM +0000, Rich Harran. wrote:
> Not very enlightening: I cut and pasted:
>
> dmesg | grep Memory
>
> into an xterm, and it just did a linefeed.
>
> non the wiser
> Rich

Arghh ! Silly me : I've tried it on a computer which was on since a few
hours and it works. After reading your mail, I've tried on a computer
with an uptime of more than 3 weeks and I too get a linefeed.

So, here's the explanations : free and /proc/meminfo reports the total
memory AFTER the loading of the kernel which take an amount of one to
two Meg on typical computers.

Next time you'll reboot your computers you'll can tried this or you can
try "grep Memory | /var/log/syslog" as root but it probably won't work
either.

P.S.
could you avoid including the whole mail to wich you reply, quoting the
relevant passage is far more small and more practical with some MUA

--
Laurent PICOULEAU
   lcrpic@a2points.com