Re: procmail (again) (and exim)

> from .procmail:
>
>   # remove duplicate messages, ie. to me and mailing list
>   :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>   | formail -D 32768 $MAILDIR/cache.msgid
>
> You may not think dropping these messages is a good idea, but when a
> mailing list gets hosed and spews several copies of every message I like
> it.
>
> --
> Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
> Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com

Or when fetchmail gets hosed three times in a row trying to download message
number 93 and I get multiple copies of everything.  That seems to have been
an isolated incident.  (I told fetchmail to get only 92 messages and
everything went peachy while fetching the rest of them the second time.)
That's something I might have to think about while I watch this procmail/exim
thing.  Thanks for the idea.

Also, as far as exim is concerned, I was playing with it the other night.
I was okay with getting the email address itself rewritten, but what about
the actual name?  i.e.,
    From: Christina L. Krogh <clkrogh@uswest.net>
instead of
    From: Blondie <clkrogh@uswest.net>
I had a rule set where I could get it to work for local mail, and then I
cut that part and pasted it into the remote-mail and it started failing
on me and my mail wasn't being sent.  Sorry I don't have the exact errors
right now, but I switched back to sendmail again since it's more or less
okay for me for now.

Well lessee.  I believe this snippet from exim.conf worked

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  headers_remove = "From"
  headers_add = "From: ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                        {$value}fail}\n"
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

... but this one didn't.

remote_smtp_rewrite:
  driver = smtp
  headers_remove = "From"
  headers_add = "From: ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                        {$value}fail}\n"

And this was my /etc/email-addresses:
blonde:clkrogh@uswest.net (Christina L. Krogh)

IIRC, I think that the lookup was failing.  If necessary, I can reinstall
exim and pick up the error.  Just probably not until Tuesday night.
(Can you say "Thanksgiving homework"?)

I tried looking in the manual and the exim archives, but I didn't find
anything that I interpretted as doing what I wanted.  If someone could give
me a nudge or a better way, I'd consider switching permanently.  Thanks.
(And no, I won't change my gecos  =) )

Chris