Re: Dialout within X

I think you need to be a little more specific. See further comments below:

> So I see that I am not the only person to get those libXpm.so.4 problems
> with Netscape.  And yes, I did install both libc5 and "libc6."

What version did you install?
How did you install it (ie. As a debian package, what components, etc ..)?

> I have just installed hamm distribution (kernel 2.0.34) onto my system,
> and X won't let me dial out.  Even worse, to dial in, I have to reboot
> the system!  There are no error messages, just that the modem won't
> respond (tested it myself).

Errr yes, but this is such a general statement. Your problems will relate to
your setup and how you are trying to initiate a connection. Are you seeing any
nasty messages when dialling out? Have you check the ppp log?

When you say X won't let you dial out, does this mean you can dial out when X
is not running?

Has your modem ever worked with your current installation?

Does ppp work when x windows is not running?

Why do you have to reboot the system, does everything lockup?

I am sure if you can supply more detail some of the people who read this list
can help out. It may be a good idea to tackle you problems one by one. Like,
why not concentrate on getting the ppp sorted first before worrying about
netscape.

Regards ...