Re: Is this really the right thing to do?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > > One problem with auto-deinstallation of support packages is that
> > > you may have other packages that also use the same support package.
> > > You would have to grep the dependency database to  ensure you
> > > weren't removing a library/package that was used elsewhere.
> > > Even then, you may have programs in /usr/local that are not tracked
> > > by dpkg and need one of those libraries.

I think that this is an issue not only when packages are uninstalled but
also when packages are upgraded.

I have had trouble recently with three seperate machines (two at work and
one at home) where Netscape works, then doesn't work, then works again ...

I have not identified the *exact* source of the problem, however, it is
different to the errors that I have been seeing reported in this mailing
list. The problem *appears* to be caused by updates to the "locales"
package - certainly the bi-polar mood swings in Netscape exactly
correspond with "apt-get upgrade"s to my systems.

Has anyone else had similar experiences when doing upgrades? I've
suspected for some time that it would be useful to reconfigure dependent
packages when lower-level packages are upgraded. Needles to say, this
could be very time consuming when very low level packages are upgraded
(such as libc).

David McDonald			telephone: +61-2-9554-0346 (direct)
Communications Analyst			   +61-2-9554-0000 (switch)
Security Mailing Services		   04-1237-2284	   (mobile)
6 The Crescent			facsimile: +61-2-9554-0554
P.O. Box 86			email:	   davemac@secmail.com.au
KINGSGROVE  NSW  2208
AUSTRALIA