Re: Why?! [even further offtopic]

First of all, NT is very stable in a workstation environment.  As soon as you start
using it in a server environment all bets are off.  Also as soon as you slap IE4 on it
all bets are off. I use NT on a pretty regular basis in a workstation environment, and
it seems to me that as soon as you install IE4 you lose everything that makes NT a
better OS than 95.  And now with Win2k they're extending that even further.  From what
I've read about Win2k, I'll be surprised if it takes the user market by storm.

As too Linux's configurability, I'll agree that that is one of the primary reasons I
like Linux so much, unfortunately that is also one of the primary reasons it is very
unlikely that Linux will ever make a serious dent in the Windows stranglehold on the
SOHO market.  People (as far as I can tell) don't want configurability.  They want
everything to be done for them.  Why? Because most people who use computers don't have
half a clue about the machine they're using, and further more they don't want to have
even a quarter of a clue.  "Just make it work" is Joe Public's request to software
developers, so phenomena like Windows should come as no surprise.  To someone who uses
2-3 applications and plays some games, Windows9x will seem the most stable thing
around.  And it takes care of all the "hard computer stuff" for them.

Like so many fads, the success of Microsoft can most easily be attributed to the
general ignorance of the computer user base, and as the computer rapidly supplants the
television and telephone as the primary means of entertainment and interpersonal
communication this ignorance will grow with leaps and bounds.

Does this remind anyone else of those bad sci-fi stories of the 50's and 60's where
the world is ruled by machines and humans have devolved into lithe little critters
devoid of intellectual pursuit?

Sean