Re: Why does 16 bpp look the same as 24 bpp?

On 21 Dec 1998, Stefan Nobis wrote:

> Rick Macdonald <Rick_Macdonald@shaw.wave.ca> writes:
>
> > I can't tell the difference between 16bpp and 24bpp 24 colour JPEG
> > files, viewed with xv.

 Hmmm. I seem to recall that xv defaults to some kind of color dithering
and only displays 256 colors (8bit color). I generally use ImageMagick's
'display' or the GIMP, so I'm not exactly a power xv user.

 You could try displaying such images in the GIMP or with display and see
if you notice a difference between 16bpp and 24bpp...

Sincerely,

 Raymond Ingles          (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 They said there'd be snow at Christmas; they said there'd be peace on Earth.
    Halelujah Noel, be it Heaven or Hell; the Christmas we get we deserve.
                  -ELP, "I Believe in Father Christmas"