Problems with Pine (set term?)

When I try and start Pine and get an error

Terminal type 'linux' us unknown

Does anyone know what this error message is telling me and how can I fix
it.  The reason I am using Pine is because I wish to have a command-line
mail reader that will connect to the same Inbox and folder directory
that Netscape is using so that I can use them interchangably.  I have
not found out how to do this  with MH or Mutt and I know I can do it
with Pine if I can get Pine up and running.  I should mention that I
downloaded the binary file so that I have none of the profile files
created yet.

Lance