Re: xbase problem (2.0_

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Ralph Winslow wrote:
> >
> > When Clyde Wilson wrote, I replied:

> > > I haven't used dpkg, but dselect seems to do the same thing.  You should
> > > answer no during the automatic install when it asks if you want to create
> > > a config file.  After everything is installed enter
> > > /usr/sbin/xbase-configure logged on as root.
> >
> > When I tried this I got
> >
> > # /usr/sbin/xbase-configure
> > ksh: /usr/sbin/xbase-configure: not found
>
>         Hmmm, I'm running slink, and never heard of (and I looked for) this file.
>
> > I had been running fvwm95-2 and I'm kind of used to that, but it seems
> > that now
> > (since I upgraded to slinK, that is) I'm only able to get fvwm2.  As you
> > can see, pon/ppp is OK as is netscape4.5 which I had been and am still
> > able to use.  But
> > this window manager won't resize or reposition windows, doesn't Iconify,
> > etc.
> > How can I get fvwm95-2 back?
>
>         What does your /etc/X11/window-manager file say?

ps aef shows that I'm running fvwm95 and that it's under
~my_login_id/.xinitrc
but this window manager is totally different - I can't re-size or even
move the windows  that I open, I don't have a color background, but a
cross-hatch background, focus changes by cursor moving into a window and
not by clicking on it, there's no bar at the bottom that shows iconified
tasks, nor a bar above it for launching xterms, netscape, etc nor clock,
nor system activity.
> The first line is the
> window manager that will be used.  Do you have a .xinitrc; does it specify a
> different window manager?
>         Wait a sec... Are you specifying 'fvwm95-2'?  On my slink system its just
> 'fvwm95'.

My .xinitrc checks for executable fvwm-95-2, then fvwm95, then fvwm,
then twm
and executes the first it finds - hence fvwm95.  I'm considering a move
to wmaker,
but I don't want to spend time learning a new environment (not that I
really learned fvwm95-2; I just seemed intuitive).