gcc vs egcs

Okay, I don't want to start a holy war or anything here, but I have some
questions about egcs and gcc.

First, was wondering _what_ the differences between gcc and egcs were.

(Note: when I say gcc, I mean gcc _and_ g++)

Compatibility:  First, can egcs compile everything that gcc can?  IE: kernel?
Also, is g++ incapable of compiling programs written for compilation with egcs?
(ie: Berlin)...

Please include your own opinions, but please don't just say (egcs|gcc) sucks,
and not provide reason.  Sure, "(egcs|gcc) sucks because..." is acceptable.

Thanks in advance...

-fantumn