Has Hamm's XF86config been improved?

Been playing with X lately, (Hamm Debian), and noticed that XF86config is
rough around the edges.  That is, if you run it twice, it doesn't offer what
you typed in the last time as a default, let alone have menus or other
conveniences.

Some of which stuff shouldn't require anything that hard to fix, (in theory!),
so I was thinking, "hey, maybe I can do some of this."

On the other hand it might be possible that somebody has already done that for
Slink or some future release, and there might be no need to reinvent the wheel.

So, anyone know if Slink or later versions have significantly improved
XF86config?  Or what mailing lists or newsgroups might be the center of such
activity?